This content was updated for accuracy and relevance on October 21st, 2020.
Parenting is tough, but so are you. Being a working parent and working from home with kids can be one of the hardest things to balance—especially during this unprecedented time when our society is facing so much uncertainty and fear surrounding the coronavirus outbreak.
No one could have prepared for this situation, and we are all having to quickly adapt to these ever-changing situations. With a rising number of people shifting to work at home instead of heading into the office, our team wanted to share some tips on navigating the current environment and how to transition to a work from home schedule. No matter if you’re new to being a remote worker or you're a seasoned wfh parent, we’re sharing steps to create a healthy, organized work and home balance.
Read on to learn more about how to work from home with a baby and how to work from home with kids of other ages, while keeping your life and home organized with our brand-new BÉIS baby travel bags. These bags aren’t just for when you’re on the go. They can make your everyday life more organized as well.
Set Clear Expectations
The world is a little crazy right now, and no one knows what to expect. Your kids are no different whether you have older kids or younger kids. That’s why it’s important to set a few expectations and boundaries during this time. Try your best to create some consistency. This starts with creating some ground rules for yourself and your family around dedicated work hours and school work time. Once you have some clear expectations outlined, it’s a good idea to sit down with your kids to briefly explain what is going on to keep everyone in the loop of what’s happening. This creates a better family balance, as everyone will know what to expect during this time.
Create a Schedule
Whether you need to create a work at home mom schedule or dad schedule, , it’s essential to stick to a routine and set the right expectation for your family. When organizing your time and creating your remote work schedule, make sure to consider your kids’ schedules. As schools closures are still in effect for the next few months, you’ll want to carve out some school and learning time balanced with fun activities to keep them busy. When creating a work from home schedule that aligns with your kids , write out everyone’s daily responsibilities, stick it on the fridge or somewhere where everyone in the family can refer to it throughout the day. We recommend creating a morning routine, afternoon routine (such as a lunch break or toddler nap) and evening routine (such as bedtime or dinner).
Make a To-Do List
Start off each workday by writing out a to-do list with tasks you need to accomplish for the day and week. This helps you stay organized of your goals and allows you to keep track of what you still have left on your plate. Plus, nothing beats the feeling of crossing off everything on your list! You can also do this with your kids to plan out activities and things for them to do during the day while you’re working.
Let’s face it—you can plan as much as you want, but things are likely to go a little off track. Be prepared for interruptions throughout your day. Your kids are likely not used to your new schedule, but it’s important to try to minimize distraction as much as possible and not to let these small interruptions completely throw you off your routine. Creating your ideal schedule is the best way to try to combat these distractions and let you focus on getting your job done and create space for your family.
Keep Kids Entertained
When kids have a fun thing to look forward to, they are less likely to interrupt you. Try setting up an activity center so your children can have a specific space for them to do projects and keep busy with activities. You might even want to consider switching out their noisy toys for ones that don’t make any sounds.
If you’re looking for more ideas to keep your kids active throughout the workday, check out this article on how to keep kids busy and stay sane at home.
Start the Day Early
Rise and shine! It can be tempting to sleep in since you don’t have to worry about commuting to the office, but waking up early is a great way to start the day off right, especially as a busy mom. Instead of rushing to get to your desk and send an email, take the time to set your alarm and make yourself a cup of coffee or tea. This is a great tip for maximizing your workday and getting your kids ready for the day.
Separate Spaces in Your House
When work and home become the same place, it can be tough to figure out a balance between the two. One of the best things to do is to separate from in different spaces. Creating separate spaces in your house helps your brain focus on work mode or family mode and can help boost your productivity. If you have a home office or an empty guest room in the house, now is the time to utilize it. If you don’t have an office to work remotely in, try making a to-do list and leaving it in your workspace to revisit the next day. It’s up to you to decide which spaces are designated for work activities and which are for family.
Take Regular Breaks
Breaks are absolutely ESSENTIAL when working from home with kids. This creates a healthy balance while giving you a much-needed mental break from the craziness. Not only should you create breaks for your kids as they’re missing out on recess, but you should also make time to give yourself a break just for you (AKA without the kids). This could be as simple as making yourself a latte or heading out on the patio for five minutes to sit and clear your mind during their naptime.
In the midst of chaos, staying organized is not only therapeutic but necessary, which is why we will help you figure out . Don’t worry—BÉIS has you covered with essentials that will help you get organized for every at-home activity. Here are some of our favorite things for life at home, work from home, and working out at home.
- Life at Home BÉIS
Being stuck at home is more relaxing when everything has its place. Use this time to get your things organized, including your makeup collection, jewelry, hot tools and other clutter.
- BÉIS Hanging Jewelry Case: Are your earrings all over the place and necklaces getting tangled up together? Our jewelry case helps you clearly separate your baubles and store
- BÉIS Cosmetic Case: This smartly-designed makeup case expertly organizes your beauty products. Store it under your sink or hang it on the back of your bathroom door, so your beauty and skincare routine is hanging at your fingertips.
- BÉIS Hot Tools Cover: A stylish case lined with burn-proof lining. Whether you’re in a rush to get ready at home or you’re on the go you can be sure your kids, your hands, and your clothing are safe from being burned thanks to our flat iron cover.
- Work from Home BÉIS
We make working from home with kids look easy with the brand-new BÉIS baby collection. From a chic diaper bag to sleek stroller caddy, we’ve got everything you need to get work done and stay organized with your kids.
- BÉIS Diaper Bag: We call this the anti-diaper diaper bag—a bag with enough function to tote around all your baby-mama needs and chic enough that NO ONE will ever suspect you're carrying around a week old dirty diaper. And don’t forget to bring your portable changing pad and baby wipes.
- BÉIS Bottle Cooler: We designed this must-have baby accessory to keep your babe's bottles at just the right temp, perfect for moms working from home. Ice packs keep things cool until you need to warm them to the babe's liking, while insulated bottles keep cool or warm for several hours. Perfect for those quick walks around the block between meetings.
- BÉIS Stroller Caddy: Featuring adjustable straps that snap around the handle of your stroller and shopping cart. This is one of those stroller bags that is perfect for social distancing approved neighborhood walks and essential grocery store trips.
- BÉIS Work Totes: Who says working from home can’t be stylish? Now you can store your work essentials all in one super-chic place. Similar to our black messenger bag, This on-the-go work tote lets you bring your remote work from the couch to the kitchen.
- Workout from Home BÉIS
Working out at home with kids can be just as difficult as working from home. Remember, exercise is an essential part of work-life balance too!
- BÉIS Water Bottle: Stay hydrated with a super lightweight water bottle, that also happens to fit perfectly in your BÉIS bag side pockets!
- BÉIS Duffle Bag: Store your home workout essentials in one convenient duffle. Designed with extra pockets and compartments with your sweaty athleisure in mind, you can store sneakers and anything else you don’t want smelling up the rest of your duffle bag in these compartments.
- BÉIS Cosmetic Pouch Set: This simple set of pouches can organize just about anything from your day to day needs to your post-gym essentials, keeping everything zipped up and tidy in two compact pouches!
Get Help If You Need It
If you are in quarantine with a partner at home, don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Practice being open and honest in your daily routine. Communicate if you need assistance with keeping the kids busy or some quiet time to work alone. Just because we have to stay at home, doesn’t mean you can’t get a little help from others and be mindful of your mental health. Make uninterrupted time to schedule virtual meetings on Zoom, Skype, or FaceTime calls with coworkers, friends, a family member, or your therapist.
Hang In There
If there’s one thing we know, it’s that everything can change in an instant. Whether you're a working mom or a working dad, take each moment to appreciate where you’re at during this time and try to stay open-minded about the future. At BÉIS, one of our favorite healthy habits to bring joy to our days is planning for our next trip. We’ve realized that even though we can’t leave the house right now, creating plans for a trip once this is all over (and buying cute travel luggage to hold you over) gives us something to look forward to. Try planning for something that brings you and your little ones joy, or looking back at old memories that make you happy. We’re all navigating work life balance during the COVID 19 pandemic together. You will get through this!