This content was updated for accuracy and relevance on November 8th, 2021
Most women have a hard time packing light. As female travelers, we usually have more toiletries, travel accessories, and shoes. We also like to disinfect everything, be prepared for sickness or injury, and bring back a little something for everyone. There’s nothing wrong with that—in fact, it’s kind of incredible. The ability to pull an overweight checked bag up a cobblestone street at a 30-degree incline… that’s the stuff superheroes are made of.
But there’s an easier way.
We've created a list of travel essentials for women so you’ll still be able to bring everything you need but in a more productive way. These 15 travel items for women will help your packing checklist be organized and efficient, while keeping you prepared and keeping your vacation look on point. Read on as we explain
#1 A Hard Shell Suitcase
Whether you need a carry-on or check-in sized suitcase, having durable and functional travel luggage on wheels is the most important of all travel necessities for women—here’s why:
- You never have to put unnecessary strain on your body carrying a heavy bag around. These roll like a dream with Hinomoto 360 wheels.
- Your carry-on travel bag or purse can easily sit on top of it. All our bags are made with trolley sleeves to slide right over your handle.
- If you have checked luggage, the hard shell will hold everything in place.
- Some luggage, like the BÈIS Carry-On and Check-In Rollers have a ton of packing space and a built-in TSA lock and a weight indicator, which means no more heavy lifting, overweight baggage fee surprises, or cuttable padlocks, and no more sacrificing style.
Hardside luggage also gives you a wider variety of color and design options, which helps your bag stand out in a sea of soft, black suitcases. You’ll never have to tie a ribbon around your handle again just so you know which one’s yours, and you’ll know right away if someone tries to walk off with your bag. Now you know the benefits of hard shell luggage, but do you know the best packing tips and tricks for them?
#2 Packing Cubes
Packing cubes are the talk of the town these days and should be on everyone’s ultimate packing list, and for a good reason. There are various sizes, depending on the set you get, and will change your life forever. You’ll maximize your luggage space, stay organized, and avoid overpacking.
Here are some tips for packing cubes:
- For a carry-on suitcase (one-week vacation), you’ll probably only need three or four cubes, but if you’re checking a bag (two-week vacation), you should look at sets of six or seven.
- Pick a packing cube size for each type of clothing item, so they all stay together.
- Roll (don’t fold) each piece of clothing and pack them in so they’re snug—it’s a great way to use all your space, prevent wrinkling, and stay organized once you’ve arrived.
- Play luggage Tetris and place your capsule wardrobe cubes inside your suitcase.
- Throw the cubes in the wash when you get home and store them inside one another.
#3 A Versatile Weekender
When it comes to travel bags for women, an efficient, stylish, carry-on sized travel bag like the BÈIS Weekender is a must. There’s a reason it’s our best seller! It lets you store tons of stuff without looking bulky, making it the only bag you’ll need for a quick trip and the perfect addition to your roller bags for a long flight.
Here’s why weekenders are the ultimate travel bag, depending on the length of your trip:
Weekend trip – With a separate compartment for shoes at the bottom, you can bring a spare pair of walking shoes and keep all the clothes you’ll need clean in the main compartment. You won’t need to pack a second shoe bag unless you want to.
One-week trip – Between your carry-on roller and your weekender bag, you’ll have plenty of space to hold everything, and still have room for souvenirs.
- Two-week trip – If you’re planning on doing international travel, you probably have to take a longer flight to get there. Having a bag that can hold a ridiculous amount of travel gear (while still looking cute) is exactly what you need for a big travel day, and you’ll be able to fit it all under the seat in front of you.
- One of our favorite travel tips is something we saw on TikTok. If you tend to be an over-packer consider bringing a travel pillow, but stuffing the pillow with your extra clothes. Pillows fly free (;
Don’t forget to look into travel insurance if you’re planning an international trip.
#4 Bluetooth Noise Canceling Headphones
You may already have Bluetooth headphones, but the benefit of having noise-canceling ones is that they can double as earplugs since you can turn on the noise-cancellation feature even if you’re not listening to anything.
#5 Portable Charger
Travel tip: a portable power bank is a super great travel accessory for women and men to stay on the grid while you’re on the go. If you have multiple devices, like a phone, Bluetooth headphones, and a tablet, you should use this guide to figure out exactly what size, capacity, and number of ports you need. Is there anything worse than being stuck in a new city with a dead phone?
#6 Reusable Water Bottle
Bringing a reusable water bottle when traveling is a great way to save money, reduce your impact on the environment, and stay hydrated while you’re on the go.
These are two of the best water bottle picks for travel:
CrazyCap – This brand’s rechargeable sanitation system purifies your drinking water in anywhere between one to two and a half minutes, depending on the sterilization mode, and has an auto-clean function using built-in UV light. The best part? It’s actually all in the cap and is compatible with tons of popular water bottle brands like S’well, so you can buy the cap alone if you want.
- S’well – Insulated, condensation-free, and leakproof, this eco-friendly water bottle comes in many different sizes and is guaranteed not to ruin anything else in your bag. Plus, it’s compatible with CrazyCap, so you can still keep that option open.
#7 High-Quality Dopp Kit
Some things get better with age: wine, cheese, the duo of Martha Stewart and Snoop Dogg...but other things should stay the way they were, and toiletry bags are one of them. From a flat bottom to a wide opening, a dopp kit is a classic toiletry kit that can hold all of your travel size, essential toiletries for vacation (i.e. , , , , sunscreen, , , , etc.). Break up with the and upgrade to this amazing travel product.
#8 Electric Toothbrush
Electric toothbrushes, on the other hand, have gotten better with time. They’re compact, powerful, and sometimes even come with a dual-purpose travel case and toothbrush stand. Plus, most can last a week or more on a single charge.
#9 Cosmetic Case
Travel beauty essentials beyond a nice toiletry bag include makeup bags, brush holders, and a compact mirror. Purchasing a cosmetic case that covers all three at once, and has extra space to store hair ties and clips, is a one-stop-shop that streamlines your packing process. Knowing how to pack toiletries and makeup can be big challenge but you'll become an expert in no time.
#10 Jewelry Case
The last essential travel item is a bag to store all your jewelry. A hanging jewelry organizer lets you look at all your options at once, and gives your necklaces enough space to hang without getting tangled during travel.
#11 DIY Disinfecting Kit
Did you know that if someone sitting near you on a flight is sick, you have an 80% chance of getting it too? According to Business Insider’s report on the study, the window seat is the safest place to be. But with people getting up during the flight and not knowing who sat there before you, the risk is unavoidable.
To stay as healthy as possible your travel packing list should include a small bag with the following items:
- Disinfecting wipes to clean your tray table
- Mini disinfectant spray for soft surfaces like seats
- Hand sanitizer to use before you eat
#12 Universal Travel Adapter
As a savvy traveler you should get a worldwide all-in-one travel adapter so you’re prepared no matter where your travels take you. Something to be mindful of: universal adapters work in most countries, but not all, so be sure to research the plugs and voltage of wherever you’re headed.
#13 Insulated Jacket
You might think that travel essentials for women going to a warmer climate wouldn’t include a down jacket. But down jackets actually have a huge range of fill density, making them perfect for a breezy night at the beach—plus, they take up way less space than even a knit cardigan would.
#14 Silk or Satin Pillowcase
Typical pillowcases can cause friction that frizzes hair and breaks down the youthful properties of the skin. Still, it’s thought (although not scientifically proven) that silk and satin pillowcases keep your hair silky and skin glowing. Bringing a pillowcase along with you means you’ll be safe from allergens like dust mites, and not have to worry about sensitive skin acting up. There are tons of brands with rave reviews, so you’ll be sure to find one within your price range.
P.S. Don't forget your and especially if you're enjoying !
Some people say you should have a cheap pair of sunglasses for traveling, but you should always prioritize your eyesight especially when going on a sunny tropical vacation. If your sunglasses don’t guarantee 100% UVA/UVB protection, and at least a category two sunglass category (meaning there’s medium glare protection), you don’t want to be wearing them.
There are plenty of affordable, quality sunglasses you can get to protect your eyes and match your .
Say goodbye to stress and hello to stylish travel. These travel essentials for women are perfect for any vacation, no matter where you’re going, for how long, or what time of year it is. These 15 stylish and practical must-haves will change your traveling experience for the better—you won’t even remember what it was like to stress about packing essentials for your next trip. Don't forget to add these items to your !
And for that last part, there’s us. Whether you need a travel wristlet, backpack or other small bag to hold your wallet, lip balm, flip flops, leggings, eye mask, neck pillow, or any other travel essentials you can think of, BÈIS has you covered. Check out our website to view all travel bag, checked luggage and carry on luggage collections and other essential travel items. Some of our favorites for a frequent traveler include the travel , the , the , and the black messenger bag.
- PC Mag. The Best Portable Chargers and Power Banks for 2020. https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-best-portable-chargers-and-power-banks-for-2020
- Business Insider. Airplane passengers have an 80% chance of getting sick on a flight if they sit in the wrong spot, scientists have found. https://www.businessinsider.com/getting-sick-on-an-airplane-flight-2018-3